Saturday, April 18, 2015

February 9, 2015 Baptism of Janta

 

 

           Well, this marks the end of yet another transfer here in the Peru, Trujillo mission. This last Tuesday also marked 8 months since I left the States. This has been an interesting transfer as I have gone through 2 companions and several other challenges, but that is how we learn and grow. To keep with tradition I’ll let you know at the end if my companion or myself are being transferred. Now apart from this week marking the end of the transfer, it has been an awesome week as we’ve taught with the spirit and had some other fun things occur which I’ll get into.

     The past p-day was kind of fun. We headed together as a District (just the 4 of us) to Central to withdraw money for the month as we were very much broke. Then we wrote our families and friends at a nearby internet place with some really old Windows XP computers. Then we headed to Pizza Hut for a pizza filled lunch which was enjoyed. And well not too much happened after that but the pizza was a highlight for sure.

     The next day at the weekly district meeting was interesting as the Zone leaders presented the goal to have a total of 24 reactivations and baptisms in February which is double of what we had a goal in January (which wasn’t accomplished). However, I trust that it’ll be possible as we work toward it. Later that day we had a really awesome lesson with the mother of some recent converts. She is really cool and attends church regularly, but she isn’t married and therefore isn’t a member; a very common occurrence in South America (unmarried parents). The problem is that the husband doesn’t want to be married nor does he want to pay for it ( it is much more expensive and difficult than the States where basically anyone can perform a wedding). Despite all that, I felt a very clear and strong impression to invite her to be baptized the 28th of February. I don’t know if it will be possible, but we will do all we can to push forward with her trusting in the Lord to provide a way to do it. We’ll see what happens.

     We also have had two really cool lessons with less active members this week. The first one occurred with V___ who told us before that she was only baptized for her daughter and had no testimony of the truthfulness of the church. She actually liked the Evangelist church more. However, as we taught her we helped her understand the importance of asking our Heavenly Father whether these things are true. She accepted the invitation and in the next lesson after we watched the Restoration film, she told us that yes she got her answer. She now believes that the church is true and is excited to come to church. With the other person, Isila, she also had never asked, we had invited her to ask in the past, but she never did so with much effort. So this last time she told us, like V__ did, that she really asked to know if it was all true and well she got her answer, too. To which I shared Alma 12:28, 41 to help her understand such an answer was only the beginning, only the seed of a firm testimony. However, if she nourishes it, it will grow into a tree of testimony which will lead to eternal life. The spirit was so strongly present in both the lessons confirming the truth of their answers and the truth of our words. They now have a chance to press forward. Like I have said before, there truly is a power behind the invitation to read, ponder and pray with respect to the Book of Mormon and the Restoration.

     On Friday we attended an activity with the Elder’s Quorum in which Ephraim’s Rescue was viewed. The acting wasn’t going to win an Academy Award, but the message that I took from it impacted me. Briefly the film is about a man who discovered the church and later become one of the men who rescued the Martin Handcart company. In doing so he learned to humbly magnify his spiritual gifts/ talents in his case the gift to heal. It really made me meditate on the talents I have and how I need to fully realize and use them to be prepared for whatever the Lord has in store for me later on during the mission and during the rest of my life.

     Saturday marked the day for my 2nd baptism. We have been able to work with our neighbors as the father came back from a time of inactivity and to be able to baptized his daughter. Janta, his 9 year old daughter, has been fun to work with as she wanted to be baptized from day 1. Now seeing them dressed in white together with the rest of their family was a sight to see. The baptism was very cool and as Janta gave her powerful testimony the spirit was very strong. It was a day to remember.

     Sunday was transfers, but before I get into that I’ll procrastinate a little. In the morning I got to give a talk about conversion which went very well which made a fitting end to my time here in Gran Chimu. The zone leaders called to let us know that I will be transferring to Central, to be companions with Elder Anderson. So that should be interesting… I get a new companion again, my 4th one within the last 6 weeks. Anyway, have a great week, Chau from Peru!

 

    

No comments:

Post a Comment